Sunday, September 20, 2009

We're Almost Finished!

About 2 weeks after my last post we finished the sheetrock and had it ready to be primed. (I know, I said I was going to do better at these posts, but I'm taking an accounting class on Tuesdays and Thursdays and it's hard to find the time...)

Below are a few pictures of what the room looked like before we applied the primer:







After two coats of primer:







And with ONE coat of paint!! (apparently I'm a little OCD when it comes to painting...the way Steven describes it I did three coats of paint at one time because I kept going back over what I painted to make sure I didn't miss anything).







The last picture is a look into the bathroom...we used Valspar's Desert Fortress in the bathroom and Lazy Sun in the laundry/mud room. We tried to get by without painting the ceiling with the ceiling paint we bought (just plain 'ole Valspar ceiling white paint), 'cause hey, the primer looked white enough to us. Little did we know that once we put up the two lights it would actually look different; it looked really dirty and washed out. Steven and his mom were able to paint the ceiling without taking the lights and fan down, but we definitely learned our lesson...no cutting corners with primer! Steven said that the primer was a gray tint next to the white paint.

Once we finished painting we were able to start laying the floor tiles. We decided to paint first so we wouldn't have to cover the floor, and let me tell you, it was wonderful not having to worry about spilling paint on the floor. The process took all day yesterday to complete. We started cleaning the plywood yesterday morning (we had to sweep a few times to get all the sheetrock dust, dirt, and puppy hair off the floor, then we took a wet towel and wiped the floor down to get any stubborn dust that was left). Then we put glue down on the floor and went to town for lunch to give the glue time to set; the glue goes down a yellow color and you can tell it's ready when it becomes clear. Steven did most of the work after we cleaned; I was there to move the glue bucket, hand him tiles, and offer moral support (I did fill in the triangle pieces along the wall). We probably would still be over there if I had been the one doing his job. Here's our first tile:




We used vinyl tile (the kind they use at Walmart), but we decided it would look better to put it down at a diagonal instead of in-line with the wall. It is much more difficult to lay tile this way because you have to cut tiles to fit in the corners and along the wall (this is also the most time-consuming part of the task), but the finished product is worth it. The result is a more seamless look, and we couldn't be happier with how it looks.

So that's where we are now...isn't it great?! We are definitely in the home stretch. I'm hoping that this time next week I will be posting pictures of a completed room!!

1 comment:

  1. Woooowwwww...I am very impressed and happy that you posted new pictures. I will kindly offer friendly reminders from time to time ;) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete